In my last post on the faux batik (resist) technique I left you with an ink and resist background for a journal spread. I have been working on that journal spread and thought you might like to see how the page has evolved.
This is how the page looked when we left it:
I have been working on building up layers of interest in the background. (I am at the start of a new journal so I'm trying to keep the pages fairly flat to make working on subsequent pages easier (lesson learned from the Dictionary Challenge!)
The first layer uses the same five colours of Dylusions I used earlier (Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange, Pure Sunshine and Fresh Lime and London Blue), but this time randomly sprayed through a circle stencil.
I love the contrast of black stamped images on my journal pages, so I picked a flower themed stamp set, archival ink and set to work, firstly stamping two different styles of flower
and then using the flower centre stamps firstly to break up some of the white circles left by the resist technique,
and secondly to add some more intense black contrast. I don't usually mount my stamps on acrylic blocks when I'm layering in a background, preferring the partial stamped image you get when you "roll" the inked stamp over the page using your fingers. This time however I did mount the stamps as I wanted a crisp image.
The picture below also shows the next step, which was to colour with a POSCA paint pen through the circle stencil. The POSCA pen gives a lovely matte, chalky and slightly textured finish when dry.
I recently bought a Paper Artsy Minis stamp (MN72) which is an ink splatter image (I know what you're thinking - "You can achieve that look by flicking ink at the page - why would you buy a stamp?" well... sometimes I think you need a bit more control)
I thought I'd give the stamp a workout and I was really pleased with the results. (This stamp will be on the "stamps to be kept close at hand" pile from now on!)
Cunningly the next photo shows the effect of the stamped ink splatters (black) and genuine Dylusions White Linen (er - white) splatters - now, which looks more like your idea of an ink splatter? I rest my case m'Lud.
All the layers of images on the page were looking very circular and "blobby", so I decided to add a little contrasting shape by printing black lines with archival ink using a cut up credit card.
Finally I added a some stamped text (Chocolate Baroque's Artistic Affirmations - LOVE these stamps!)
Here is the "finished" background - who knows - I might go back in and add something else at a later date - that's the beauty of art journaling...
The observant amongst you will have noticed that I've only shown you one side of my two page spread. I will be posting a Part 2 to the faux batik technique tutorial which will show a different look using the same basic technique, so do keep an eye on your blog roll or bloglovin' feed. You can now see Part 2 here.
Thank you for stopping by.