Thursday 23 January 2014

January Calendar Girls


Hello crafting friends and thank you for visiting.

I recently did an " In the spotlight" interview over at Our Creative Corner (OCC) (it's here if you want to read it), one of the questions was, "If you have lost your Mojo, how do you go about getting it back?"  Well, to be honest my Mojo went AWOL at Christmas and I've been in a bit of a crafting doldrums ever since. So, true to my interview response I've been looking around for sources of inspiration - and sometimes you get inspiration when you least expect it! - I recently picked up a copy of Creative Stamping magazine (mainly because I was drawn to the knife, fork and spoon freebie stamps - sad - but true!) A quick flick through the mag left me a bit disappointed - but then I'm not really a card maker - until I came across an article from the DT at Ali-Craft showcasing the Prima doll stamps - and then... Ding! - a light bulb moment and my personal 2014 challenge was born.

I am setting myself a "calendar girls" challenge - no silly, not the naked WI with strategic cakes style Calendar Girls, but a monthly themed tag featuring the Prima doll stamps  (or stamp singular - in my case!) I have also made the resolution to make a mega effort to use up some of my stash, so the current challenge over at OCC is perfect to get my newly returned Mojo back in working order!

The challenge is "No more shopping sins" (click on the link for details) and is an opportunity to use up some of the stash that's gathering dust in forgotten boxes and to confess your stash shopping sins and make a clean start in 2014.

So here is my January Calendar Girls tag...


I chose cold colours and a snowy theme to reflect the chilly weather we can have here in the UK in January.


It was fun pulling together various different stamps to make my cluster of embellishments - and of course I have unearthed some I'd forgotten I'd got!

So - to confess my stash shopping sins - I am a terrible sucker for a "bargain" - if it is vastly reduced in a sale bin and I think I may have a use for it at some point it will - almost inevitably - end up in my shopping basket!

Case in point with this tag - the self adhesive fabric ribbon and co-ordinating brad were in a sale of Dovecraft Christmas lines three or four years ago and have not been out of the packet until today.

Talking of ribbon - I just LOVE printed grosgrain ribbon - can't resist a pretty ribbon - OMG I'm SUCH a girl!

The Papermania ticket stamps were reduced to £2 in my local craft shop, the clock stamp was a freebie on a Creativity Magazine - can't resist a "freebie"!


The snowflake rub-ons (part of a set of glitter snowmen) were in a BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free) offer at The Works, again three or four years ago.

I must also confess that the Cuttlebug Swiss dots embossing folder had its maiden voyage in the making of this tag - and I've had that for donkey's!


Then there's the patterned paper - you know how that calls to you from the racks in the craft shop... so I'm pleased to be able to say that I have CUT INTO FOUR - that's FOUR, people, - different pieces of patterned paper from FOUR different stacks in the making of this project! (I needed a lie down with a cold compress afterwards mind you!)

Those of you who know your way around Julie Nutting's doll stamps for Prima will know that this is NOT one of Julie's designs. I had great fun (which really took me back to my childhood!) designing and making suitably warm attire for my January Girl.


I started by stamping the doll stamp (Doll No.2) on to white Neenah cardstock, loosely cut out my image and coloured in the face and neck with Copic markers.


I then stamped the image again on to copier paper and drew my "warm clothes" design over the top of the original image. 


I cut the pattern pieces out and used them as a template for making the finished clothes from patterned paper.

The new clothes were then glued over the top of the original stamped image and details such as creases and buttons were added with a fine black Pitt artists pen. A coat of matte medium made the surface of the finished doll non-porous and allowed me to add shading with Pitt Big Brush india ink markers.
                                                                                                                                                                

The final touch was to add a generous coat of Dimensional Magic (Glossy Accents equivalent) to the spotty wellies to give them a lovely "bang on trend" shine. Oh yes and those are supposed to be fluffy earmuffs - in case you were wondering :0)

So there you have it - my sins confessed and my project completed - and a head full of inspiration for February's tag too...

Wow - that was a long post - thanks for sticking with me - let me know you came and I'll try and catch up with you soon.

Hugs

7 comments:

  1. I know....once you have started cutting into designer papers gets a little easier...but I really admire your cutting into four sheets at one time! Wow! I know how hard that is.

    LOVE those glossy boots! And the frosty colours of your gorgeous tag too!

    Thank you for sharing it with us at OurCreativeCorner!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea to make 'Calendar Girls'! You did such a great job of re-designing her outfit - I thought you said you couldn't draw! Not so, Maisie. And thanks for the reminders and encouragement to use what we have. I could use a little angel on my shoulder chanting this in my ear. Actually, I think she does but I am pretty good at ignoring her when I want to. I am like you - sale items are entirely too hard to pass up! Love the shiny boots. Happy creativity, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you for making a concerted effort to use up your stash this way. Love this tag and those boots are superb. Wouldn't mind splashing around in them when walking the dog! I'm glad your mojo is now back in full working order too. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic - love that you made the clothes yourself, and especially that fabulous coat of gloss on the boots - inspired! Great start to your personal challenge, and way to go on using up stash!! Thanks for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just great. Now I've got another eleven of your Calender Girl Tags to look out for. Should be very interesting.
    Love Flo. X X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant tag and I love your challenge
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this idea!! Reminds me of those paper dolls I used to play with which had paper clothes with tabs to keep them on. I can remember making clothes for mine so your fab tag really appeals to me. Great colours (and tutorial) but for me the best bit are her coat and those gorgeous wellies - inspired!
    Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Juliax

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your happy thoughts. Maisie Moonshine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...